Great Britain 1887 half penny
This specimen was lot 34837 in Ponterio sale 177 (Chicago, August 2013), where it sold for $182. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. 1/2 Penny, 1887. NGC MS-64 RB." In 1860, the copper half penny was superseded by a smaller bronze half penny. To mark the change, the young bust was dropped in favor of the "bun head." This type was struck until 1895. The farthings and pennies were similarly modified.
Recorded mintage: 10,701,000.
Specification: 5.4 g, bronze.
Catalog reference: S-3956; KM-754.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio sale 177: The August 2013 Chicago ANA Auction, World Coins, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers, LLC, 2013.
- 1885 half penny
- 1887 penny
- 1887 threepence, Jubilee head
- 1887 sixpence, Jubilee head
- 1887 shilling, young head
- 1887 shilling, Jubilee head
- 1887 florin, Jubilee head
- 1887 half crown, young head
- 1887 half crown, Jubilee head
- 1887 double florin
- 1887 crown
- 1887 ½ sovereign
- 1887 sovereign
- 1887 5 pounds
- 1887 2 pounds
- 1888 half penny
- Coins and currency dated 1887
- return to coins of Great Britain