Great Britain 1887 florin KM-762
This specimen was lot 29927 in Heritage sale 3042 (Long Beach, September 2015), where it sold for $763.75. The catalog description noted, "Victoria Proof Florin 1887 PR64 PCGS, Royal mint. Billowy tone traverses the surfaces and few surface disturbances are observed, with medium-gray base tone on the obverse and lighter saturation on the reverse." The reported mintage includes a substantial quantity of young head double florins (KM 746.4) dated 1887. This is the commonest date of a type struck 1887-92.
Recorded mintage: 1,777,000 (Incl. KM 746.4) plus 1,084 proofs.
Specification: 11.31 g, .925 fine silver, reeded edge.
Catalog reference: KM 762, S-3925.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World Coin Auction 3042, featuring the Read and Bob Bennett Collections, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2015.