Great Britain 1887 double florin
This specimen was lot 7364 in Ponterio sale 155 (Baltimore, November 2010), where it sold for $891.25. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Double Florin, 1887. Arabic '1'. PCGS PROOF-64 CAMEO." The SCWC lists this type for 1887-90. It and the florin were struck in an experiment to decimalize the pound (10 florins = one pound). The florin was accepted but the double florin was a flop. This date is listed with a Roman "I" and an Arabic "1" in the date.
Recorded mintage: est. 2,916 proofs.
Specification: 22.62 g, .925 fine silver, .6727 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: S-3923; KM-763.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Ponterio, Richard, and Kent Ponterio, The November 2010 Baltimore Auction, Irvine, CA: Bowers and Merena, 2010.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- 1852 florin
- 1887 half penny
- 1887 penny
- 1887 threepence, Jubilee head
- 1887 6 pence
- 1887 shilling, young head
- 1887 shilling
- 1887 florin
- 1887 half crown, young head
- 1887 half crown, Jubilee head
- 1887 ½ sovereign
- 1887 sovereign
- 1887 5 pounds
- 1887 2 pounds
- 1889 crown
- 1890 double florin
- Coins and currency dated 1887
- return to coins of Great Britain