Great Britain 1887 3 pence KM-758
This specimen was lot 2400 in Goldberg sale 110 (Los Angeles, June 2019), where it sold for $60. The catalog description noted, "Great Britain. Threepence, 1887. Victoria. Obverse: Jubilee bust of queen by Boehm. Reverse: Crowned numeral 3 within wreath. Mint state with blue and gold color. NGC graded MS-66." This type was struck 1887-92 and is quite a bit more available than the young head threepence it replaced. The bust of the queen with the tiny crown balanced on top was never popular and it was retired in 1893.
Recorded mintage: 2,785,000 (including the young head).
Specification: 1.41 g, .925 fine silver, 16 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: S.3931; KM-758.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, John Lavender, Yifu Che, Jason Villareal and Stephen Harvey, Goldberg Sale 110: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2019.
- 1887 half penny
- 1887 penny
- 1887 6 pence, Jubilee head
- 1887 shilling, young head
- 1887 shilling, Jubilee head
- 1887 florin, Jubilee head
- 1887 half crown, young head
- 1887 half crown, Jubilee head
- 1887 double florin
- 1887 crown
- 1887 ½ sovereign
- 1887 sovereign
- 1887 2 pounds
- 1887 5 pounds
- Coins and currency dated 1887