Great Britain 1887 2 pounds
This specimen was lot 3602 in Goldberg sale 67 (Los Angeles, January 2012), where it sold for $4,255. The catalog description noted, "Great Britain. 2 Pounds, 1887. Victoria. Jubilee bust left. Reverse: St. George. A choice frosty example in premium grade. Very scarce this nice. PCGS graded MS-65." This is the first issue of this denomination since a few proofs were struck in 1831, during the reign of William IV. The next issue was in 1893 and used the "old head" of Victoria.
Recorded mintage: 91,000 plus 797 proofs.
Specification: 15.98 g, .917 fine gold, .470 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: S.3865; Fr-391; KM-768.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, Stephen Harvey, Paul Rynearson and Jason Bradford, Pre-Long Beach Auction, Ancient & World Coins, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins & Collectibles, 2011.
- 1887 half penny
- 1887 penny
- 1887 threepence, Jubilee head
- 1887 sixpence
- 1887 shilling
- 1887 shilling, young head
- 1887 florin
- 1887 half crown, young head
- 1887 half crown, Jubilee head
- 1887 2 florins
- 1887 ½ sovereign
- 1887 sovereign
- 1887 5 pounds
- 1889 crown
- Coins and currency dated 1887
- return to coins of Great Britain