Great Britain 1887 1/2 sovereign
This specimen was lot 40164 in Ponterio sale 168 (Philadelphia, August 2012), where it sold for $2,056. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. 1/2 Sovereign, 1887. PCGS PROOF-64. From a mintage of only 797 pieces." This type was struck 1887-93 in considerable numbers and is called the "jubilee head." This date is common even if the proofs are not.
Recorded mintage: 872,000 plus 797 proofs.
Specification: 3.99 g, .917 fine gold.
Catalog reference: Fr-393a; S-3869; KM-766.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio sale 168: The Official ANA Auction, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2012.