Great Britain 1886 half crown
This specimen was lot 33102 in Heritage sale 3064 (Chicago, April 2018), where it sold for $900. The catalog description noted, "Victoria 1/2 Crown 1886 MS64 PCGS. A lightly toned offering with only mild signs of handling." The type was struck for circulation 1874-87 and features the bust of the young queen Victoria. A similar bust was used 1839-50. The bust strongly resembles the one used on the crown but the half crown was issued in much larger numbers.
Recorded mintage: 892,000, a slightly better date.
Specification: 14.14 g, .925 fine silver, .420 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM 756, S-3889.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach and Warren Tucker, Heritage World Coin Auction 3064, featuring the Doug Robins Collection of Canadian Tokens, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2018.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.