Great Britain 1885 half crown
This specimen was lot 34829 in Ponterio sale 177 (Chicago, August 2013), where it sold for $734. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. 1/2 Crown, 1885. PCGS MS-62 Secure Holder." The type was struck for circulation 1839-50 and features the bust of the young queen Victoria. A slightly revised bust (shown here) was used 1874-87. The bust strongly resembles the one used on the crown but the half crown was issued in much larger numbers.
Recorded mintage: 1,685,000 plus proofs.
Specification: 14.14 g, .925 fine silver, .420 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: S-3889; KM-756.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio sale 177: The August 2013 Chicago ANA Auction, World Coins, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers, LLC, 2013.