Great Britain 1885 florin
This specimen was lot 23070 in Stack's Bowers ANA sale (Philadelphia, August 2018), where it sold for $840. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Florin, 1885. PCGS MS-64 Secure Holder. Sharply struck with silky luster and light toning." This type was struck 1848-87 in reasonable quantities in an attempt to decimalize the currency (one pound = ten florins). This subtype was issued 1877-87.
Recorded mintage: 1,758,000 plus proofs.
Specification: 11.31 g, .925 fine silver, .336 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: S-3900; KM-746.4; Esc-2909.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio and Chris Chatigny, The August 2018 Philadelphia ANA Auction: World Coins and Selections from the El Dorado Collection of Colombian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.