Great Britain 1884 shilling
This specimen was lot 4847 in Goldberg sale 69 (Los Angeles, May, 2012), where it sold for $253. The catalog description  noted, "Great Britain. Shilling, 1884. Victoria. Young head. Steel gray and mottle tone. NGC graded MS-64. The Judy Cahn Collection." This type was struck 1879-87 as the final issue of the young head type first struck in 1838. This date is common.
Recorded mintage: 3,924,000 plus a few proofs.
Specification: 5.65 g, .925 fine silver, .168 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: S.3907; KM-734.4.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 42nd ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, Stephen Harvey and Paul Rynearson, Goldberg sale 69: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Ancient and World Coins, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2012.