Great Britain 1883 florin
This specimen was lot 4107 in Goldberg sale 80 (Los Angeles, June 2014), where it sold for $329. The catalog description noted, "Great Britain. Gothic Florin, 1883. Victoria. Lustrous with a hint of toning. NGC graded MS-62." This type was struck 1848-87 in reasonable quantities in an attempt to decimalize the currency (one pound = ten florins). This subtype was issued 1877-87.
Recorded mintage: 3,556,000.
Specification: 11.31 g, .925 fine silver, .336 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: S.3900; ESC-859; KM-746.4.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, Aleeza Brown, Yifu Che, Frank Draskovic and Stephen Harvey, Goldberg Sale 80: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2014.