Great Britain 1883 1/2 sovereign
This specimen was lot 6610 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2017), where it sold for $493.50. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. 1/2 Sovereign, 1883. PCGS MS-62 Secure Holder. Nice strike." This type was struck in substantial quantities 1838-85 yet choice specimens are few.
Recorded mintage: 2,870,000, a common date.
Specification: 3.99 g, .917 fine gold, .117 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: S-3861; Fr-389e; KM-735.1.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Ponterio, Richard, The January 2017 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Richard Stuart Collection, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2016.