Great Britain 1880 sovereign
This specimen was lot 40160 in Ponterio sale 168 (Philadelphia, August 2012), where it did not sell. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Sovereign, 1880. PCGS MS-62. Secure Holder. Second 8/7 listed under S-3856B. But with long horse tail. Ex: Douro Cargo." This type was struck 1871-85 in considerable numbers. The obverse was carried over from the type of 1838-74 but the reverse revived the St. George and the dragon design last used in 1825. This date is common.
Recorded mintage: 3,650,000.
Specification: 7.98 g, .917 fine gold.
Catalog reference: Fr-388; S-3856A; KM-752.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio sale 168: The Official ANA Auction, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2012.