Great Britain 1879 penny
The first specimen was lot 30590 in Stack's Bowers ANA auction (Chicago, August 2014), where it sold for $193.88. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Penny, 1879. PCGS MS-63 RB Secure Holder. Obverse 9, reverse J. Partial toning on deep lustrous red surfaces. From the Kevin Tierney Collection." The second specimen was lot 22971 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2018), where it sold for $168. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Penny, 1879. PCGS MS-63 RB Secure Holder. Wide date, incuse veins in wreath. Good strike with medium brown tone and a fair amount of original mint red. From the Brighton Collection." This penny was struck 1860-94 in several varieties and is somewhat scarce, tho the proofs are rare. Worn specimens fill dealer junk boxes. Numerous varieties exist.
Recorded mintage: 7,666,000 plus proofs.
Specification: 9.4 g, bronze, 30.8 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: S-3954; KM-755; Freeman-97.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Ponterio, Richard, The August 2014 Chicago ANA Auction: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, Featuring the David O'Harrow Collection, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2014.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.