Great Britain 1879 farthing
This specimen was lot 3020 in Goldberg sale 98 (Los Angeles, June 2017), where it sold for $52.87. The catalog description noted, "Great Britain. Farthing, 1879. Victoria. Large 9 in date. Uncirculated." In 1860, the copper farthing was superseded by a smaller bronze farthing. To mark the change, the young bust was dropped in favor of the "bun head." This type was struck until 1894. half pennies and pennies were similarly modified. The Heaton mint also struck this type 1874-76 and 1881-82.
Recorded mintage: 3,977,000.
Specification: 2.86 g, bronze, 20 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: S.3958; KM-753.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, John Lavender, Yifu Che, Jason Villareal and Stephen Harvey, Goldberg Sale 98: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2017.