Great Britain 1875-H penny
This specimen was lot 1062 in Stack's Bowers ANA auction (Chicago, August 2014), where it sold for $3,055. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Penny, 1875-H. PCGS MS-64 RB Secure Holder. Obverse 8, reverse J. Mostly light toning on lustrous orange surfaces. From the Kevin Tierney Collection." This Heaton Mint issue is a key date. This penny was struck 1874-94 in several varieties and is common, tho the proofs are rare. Worn specimens fill dealer junk boxes. Numerous varieties exist.
Recorded mintage: 753,000.
Specification: 9.4 g, bronze, 30.8 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: S-3955; KM-755; Freeman-85.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Ponterio, Richard, The August 2014 Chicago ANA Auction: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, Featuring the David O'Harrow Collection, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2014.