Great Britain 1873 farthing
This specimen was lot 3241 in Goldberg sale 78 (Los Angeles, January 2014), where it sold for $129.25. The catalog description noted, "Great Britain. Farthing, 1873. Victoria. With full bright mint red and probably conservatively graded. NGC graded MS-65 Red & Brown." This farthing was struck 1860-94 in several varieties and is common, tho the proofs are rare. This is the final date of the "toothed border" type (KM 747.2); the "beaded border" type (KM 753) commenced in 1874.
Recorded mintage: 3,226,000.
Specification: 2.86 g, bronze, 20 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: S.3958; KM-747.2.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, Yifu Che and Stephen Harvey, Goldberg sale 78: the pre-Long Beach Auction, Ancient and World Coins, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins & Collectibles, 2014.