Great Britain 1872 penny
This specimen was lot 2126 in Goldberg sale 106 (Los Angeles, September 2018), where it sold for $114. The catalog description noted, "Great Britain. Penny, 1872. Victoria. PCGS graded MS-63 Red & Brown." This type was struck 1860-74 with a slightly modified obverse extending to 1894. Numerous varieties exist, some rare.
Recorded mintage: 8,495,000.
Specification: 9.4 g, bronze, 30.6 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: S.3954; KM-749.2.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, John Lavender, Yifu Che, Jason Villareal and Stephen Harvey, Goldberg Sale 106: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2018.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.