Great Britain 1872 half penny
This specimen was lot 23001 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2018), where it sold for $65. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. 1/2 Penny, 1872. PCGS MS-63 RB Secure Holder. Sharply struck, light brown tone with traces of mint red. From the Brighton Collection." This type was struck 1860-74 with a slightly modified obverse extending to 1894. Numerous varieties exist, some rare.
Recorded mintage: 4,659,000.
Specification: 5.7 g, bronze.
Catalog reference: S-3956; KM-748.2.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.