Great Britain 1869 florin
This specimen was lot 24327 in Heritage sale 3024 (Chicago, April 2013), where it sold for $1,762.50. The catalog description noted, "Victoria Gothic Florin 1869, Die #4, MS63 PCGS (old slab), silvery snow-white luster, a superior example." This type was struck 1848-87 in reasonable quantities in an attempt to decimalize the currency (one pound = ten florins). This subtype was issued 1868-78.
Recorded mintage: 297,000 (low mintage date).
Specification: 11.31 g, .925 fine silver, .336 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: S-3893, KM 746.2.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3024, featuring the Kairos and Elizabeth McPhall Charters Collections, Dallas: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2013.