Great Britain 1868 3 pence
This specimen was part of lot 6619 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2017), which sold for $376. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Maundy Set, 1868. NGC MS-63 (1), 64 (1) & 65 (2). Nice even tone, an attractive set. From the Q. David Bowers Collection. Ex: Baldwins Sale #77 09/2012, Lot #2832." This type, KM 730, was struck 1838-87 for Maundy sets and for circulation, unlike the other denominations. This date is reasonably available.
Recorded mintage: 4,488 plus 1,462,000 for circulation.
Specification: 1.41 g, .925 fine silver.
Catalog reference: KM 730, S-3916; KM-MDS-112 (set); ESC-2480.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Ponterio, Richard, The January 2017 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Richard Stuart Collection, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2016.