Great Britain 1867 penny
This specimen was lot 24117 in Heritage sale 3020 (Long Beach, September 2012), where it sold for $646.25. The catalog description noted, "Victoria Penny 1867, Laureate or Bun Head, MS64 BN NGC, very choice, sharply detailed, more than a suggestion of mint red remaining, almost mark free, several patches of faulty rolling around Britannia. Very scarce date." This type was struck 1860-74 at London and Heaton with a slightly modified obverse extending to 1894.
Recorded mintage: 5,464,000.
Specification: 9.4 g, bronze, 31 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: S-3954, KM 749.2.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Freeman, Michael J., The Bronze Coinage of Great Britain, Rev. Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2006.
- Peck, C. Wilson, English Copper, Tin and Bronze Coins in the British Museum, 1558-1958, 2nd Ed., London: Oxford University Press, 1970.
- Tucker, Warren, and Cris Bierrenbach, Heritage Signature Auction 3020: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2012.