Great Britain 1867 6 pence
The first specimen was lot 20973 in Heritage sale 3021 (New York, January 2013), where it sold for $1,292.50. The catalog description noted, "Victoria Sixpence 1867, Young Head, Die #1, MS66+ PCGS, another beauty having thick satiny luster, a sharp strike, and rich silvery gold iridescence. From The Kairos Collection." The second specimen was lot 31222 in Heritage sale 3073 (Chicago, April 2019), where it sold for $2,280. The catalog description noted, "Victoria Proof 6 Pence 1867 PR65 PCGS. A very rare Proof of Record, slightly dappled iridescent golden blue toning with a dove-gray base, wonderful crisp details especially on the reverse, a handsome old-time piece that is seldom seen at all let alone in this rarified condition. From the Lake County Collection." This type was struck in large numbers 1867-87 yet circulated extensively. Few survive in high grade. Die numbers were added 1864-78. Researchers have offered various theories as to why tho it seems likely that mint officials wanted to analyze die life.
Recorded mintage: 1,362,000 plus proofs.
Specification: 2.82 g (not 3.01 g as reported in the SCWC), .925 fine silver, 19.3 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: KM 751.1, S-3910, ESC-1718A.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3021, featuring the Cecil Webster, Richard P. Ariagno and Elizabeth McPhall Charters Collection, Dallas: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2012.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano and Warren Tucker, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3073, featuring the Lake County Collection of British coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2019.