Great Britain 1865 penny
The first specimen was lot 1048 in Stack's Bowers ANA auction (Chicago, August 2014), where it sold for $2,232.50. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Penny, 1865/3. PCGS MS-64+ RB Secure Holder. Obverse 6, reverse G. Brilliant full mint orange luster. From the Kevin Tierney Collection." This overdate is priced double the regular date. The second specimen was lot 30579 in Stack's Bowers ANA auction (Chicago, August 2014), where it sold for $481.75. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Penny, 1865. PCGS MS-64 RB Secure Holder. Obverse 6, reverse G. Full orange/red mint luster. From the Kevin Tierney Collection." This "bun head" penny was struck 1860-74 in large numbers and worn specimens fill dealer junk boxes. Numerous varieties exist.
Recorded mintage: 8,602,000.
Specification: 9.4 g, bronze, 30.8 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: S-3954; KM-749.2; Freeman-51.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Ponterio, Richard, The August 2014 Chicago ANA Auction: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, Featuring the David O'Harrow Collection, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2014.