Great Britain 1864 half penny
This specimen was lot 33115 in Heritage sale 3064 (Chicago, April 2018), where it sold for $432. The catalog description noted, "Victoria 1/2 Penny 1864 MS65 Red and Brown NGC. A combination of sunset orange and indigo-bordering-on-magenta color bring a unique allure to the present offering. A slight die crack is to be noted on Victoria's shoulder, but is nicely shaded by the dark toning of the high points." This type was struck 1860-74 with a slightly modified obverse extending to 1894.
Recorded mintage: 538,000; low mintage but not rare.
Catalog reference: S-3956, KM 748.2.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach and Warren Tucker, Heritage World Coin Auction 3064, featuring the Doug Robins Collection of Canadian Tokens, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2018.