Great Britain 1862 sovereign
This specimen was lot 50141 in Ponterio sale 168 (Philadelphia, August 2012), where it sold for $546. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Sovereign, 1862. NGC MS-61." This bust was used on the sovereign, or one pound coin, 1838-64 with a slightly modified type (KM 736.2) extending until 1874. This date is common.
Recorded mintage: 7,836,000.
Specification: 7.98 g, .917 fine gold.
Catalog reference: Fr-387e; S-3852d; KM-736.1.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio sale 168: The Official ANA Auction, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2012.