Great Britain 1862 half penny
This specimen was lot 4357 in Goldberg sale 75 (Los Angeles, September 2013), where it sold for $575. The catalog description noted, "Great Britain. Halfpenny, 1862. Victoria. Young head. A real blazer. NGC graded MS-66 Red." This type was struck 1860-74 with a slightly modified obverse extending to 1894. Numerous varieties exist, some rare.
Recorded mintage: 61,107,000.
Specification: 5.7 g, bronze.
Catalog reference: S-3956, KM 748.2.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, Jason Villareal and Steven Harvey, Goldberg Sale 75: the pre-Long Beach Sale, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins & Collectibles, 2013.