Great Britain 1861 penny
This specimen was lot 1044 in Stack's Bowers ANA auction (Chicago, August 2014), where it sold for $2,232.50. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Penny, 1861. PCGS PROOF-65 BN Secure Holder. No signature on either side. Obverse 6, reverse G. Toned with iridescent plum, green and blue highlights. Some brilliant proof surfaces around periphery." This "bun head" penny was struck 1860-74 in large numbers and worn specimens fill dealer junk boxes. Numerous varieties exist.
Recorded mintage: 36,449,000.
Specification: 9.4 g, bronze, 30.8 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: S-3954; KM-749.2; Freeman-37.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Ponterio, Richard, The August 2014 Chicago ANA Auction: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, Featuring the David O'Harrow Collection, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2014.