Great Britain 1855 half penny
This specimen was lot 34034 in Heritage sale 3076 (Long Beach, CA, September 2019), where it sold for $144. The catalog description noted, "Great Britain: Victoria 1/2 Penny 1855 MS65 Brown PCGS. Supremely satiny with what appears to be a small area of die clashing visible behind the queen's bust."This half penny was struck 1838-60 and is common, tho the proofs are rare. It shares the same design with the farthing and penny.
Recorded mintage: 7,456,000, a common date.
Specification: 8.8 g, copper.
Catalog reference: KM 726, S-3949.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Freeman, Michael J., The Bronze Coinage of Great Britain, Rev. Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2006.
- Peck, C. Wilson, English Copper, Tin and Bronze Coins in the British Museum, 1558-1958, 2nd Ed., London: Oxford University Press, 1970.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano and Warren Tucker, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3076, featuring the Allen Moretti Swiss Collection and the James Mossman Collection of Canadian Coinage, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2019.