Great Britain 1855 florin
This specimen was lot 2327 in Goldberg sale 110 (Los Angeles, June 2019), where it sold for $570. The catalog description noted, "Great Britain. Florin, 1855. Victoria. Obverse: Gothic bust of queen by Wyon. Reverse: Crowned cruciform shields. Dark golden tone. NGC graded MS-62." This type was struck 1851-63 with the date in Roman numerals. With minor modifications, the type was issued until 1887.
Recorded mintage: 831,000.
Specification: 11.31 g, .925 fine silver, 28.3 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: S.3891; ESC-812; KM-746.1.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, John Lavender, Yifu Che, Jason Villareal and Stephen Harvey, Goldberg Sale 110: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2019.