Great Britain 1855 1/2 sovereign
"Victoria, 1837-1901. 1/2 Sovereign 1855, London. Young head. PCGS MS62. (kingdom of Great Britain, Victoria, 1837-1901, half sovereign of 1855, London mint, young head. Uncirculated.)"This type was struck in substantial quantities 1838-85 yet choice specimens are few.
Recorded mintage: 1,120,000, a slightly better date.
Specification: 3.99 g, .917 fine gold, .117 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Seaby 3859, Fr-389b; KM-735.1.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Richter, Jurg, Sincona Auction 51: Gold and Silver Coins and Medals; Coins and Medals from Switzerland, Zurich: SINCONA AG, 2018.