Great Britain 1854 half penny
This specimen was lot 4281 in Goldberg sale 84 (Los Angeles, January 2015), where it sold for $317.25. The catalog description noted, "Great Britain. Halfpenny, 1854. Victoria. Choice original example with much mint red. NGC graded MS-65 Red & Brown." This half penny was struck 1838-60 and is common, tho the proofs are rare. It shares the same design with the farthing and penny.
Recorded mintage: 12,257,000, a common date.
Catalog reference: S.3949; KM-726.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, Aleeza Brown, Yifu Che, Jason Villareal and Stephen Harvey, Goldberg Sale 84: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2014.