Great Britain 1853 sovereign
This specimen was lot 29741 in Heritage sale 3037 (New York, January 2015), where it sold for $1,762.50. The catalog description noted, "Victoria gold Sovereign 1853 MS64 PCGS, Royal mint, WW raised. The "WW raised" variety refers to the initials of William Wyon engraved at the truncation of Victoria's neck. This is in contrast to the rarer 'WW incuse' variety, which began being produced in 1853. Nonetheless, this particular example is still well above average for the type, which is not often encountered in the choice mint state designation. From The Law Collection." This type was struck 1838-72 in large quantities with a slightly modified obverse continuing until 1874. Despite the large mintages, the type is scarce in nice condition.
Recorded mintage: 10,598,000 plus proofs.
Specification: 7.98 g, .917 fine gold, .235 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 736.1, S-3852C.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3037, featuring the Empire, the Santa Catarina, the Law and the Santa Maria Collections, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2014.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- 1853 half farthing
- 1853 farthing
- 1853 half penny
- 1853 penny
- 1853 Maundy penny
- 1853 Maundy tuppence
- 1853 Maundy threepence
- 1853 groat, Britannia reverse
- 1853 Maundy fourpence
- 1853 sixpence
- 1853 shilling
- 1853 florin
- 1853 half crown proof
- 1853 crown proof
- 1853 half sovereign
- 1854 sovereign
- Coins and currency dated 1853
- return to coins of Great Britain