Great Britain 1853 half farthing
This specimen was lot 72120 in Stack's Bowers Collector's Choice sale (Santa Ana, CA, October 2019), where it sold for $180. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. 1/2 Farthing, 1853. London Mint. Victoria. PCGS PROOF Genuine--Spot Removed, Unc Details Gold Shield. A RARE proof offering, this slightly impaired piece offers highly lustrous surfaces with a cobalt brilliance and razor sharp strike. Its only detraction comes from an unfortunate spot removal on the obverse behind Victoria's head. From the Regent Crest Collection." In the early nineteenth century, many British colonies did not receive distinctive coinage but "homeland types" struck specifically for that area. The SCWC notes this half farthing (1/1920 of a sovereign) was struck for Ceylon 1839, 1842-44, 1847, 1851-56 and only made legal tender in Britain in 1842.
Recorded mintage: 955,000.
Specification: 2.2 g, copper.
Catalog reference: S-3951; KM-738.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Freeman, Michael J., The Bronze Coinage of Great Britain, Rev. Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2006.
- Peck, C. Wilson, English Copper, Tin and Bronze Coins in the British Museum, 1558-1958, 2nd Ed., London: Oxford University Press, 1970.
- Orsini, Matt, Richard Ponterio and Kyle Ponterio, The October 2019 Collector's Choice Sale: World and Ancient Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2019.
- 1852 half farthing
- 1853 farthing
- 1853 half penny
- 1853 penny
- 1853 Maundy penny
- 1853 Maundy tuppence
- 1853 Maundy threepence
- 1853 groat, Britannia reverse
- 1853 Maundy fourpence
- 1853 sixpence
- 1853 shilling
- 1853 florin
- 1853 half crown proof
- 1853 crown proof
- 1853 half sovereign
- 1853 sovereign
- 1856 half farthing
- Coins and currency dated 1853