Great Britain 1853 crown
This specimen was lot 31157 in Heritage sale 3037 (New York, January 2015), where it sold for $25,850. The catalog description noted, "The Rarer of the Two Gothic Crown Dates--Victoria Proof Gothic Crown 1853 PR63 NGC, Royal mint. "SEPTIMO" edge. A striking specimen of this far rarer date with pleasing, silver-gray surfaces that are aglow in fantastic shades of iridescent blue and champagne tone. While the expansive obverse fields are glossy and virtually uninterrupted, the reverse is the true star of this piece with beautiful color residing in the protected areas, glistening through the openwork of the devices and creating a stellar, three-dimensional effect. An incredible example of this highly-collectible type with immediate and long-lasting allure. From The Law Collection." The glamorous design and beautiful toning make this coin always in demand. The type was also struck in 1847. This design was never struck for circulation but was reused on the florin of 1848-77 (KM 745 and 746) which is readily available in circulated condition.
Recorded mintage: unknown but few.
Specification: 28.27 g, .925 fine silver, .840 troy oz ASW, lettered edge.
Catalog reference: KM744, S-3883, Dav-106.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3037, featuring the Empire, the Santa Catarina, the Law and the Santa Maria Collections, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2014.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.