Great Britain 1853 6 pence
This specimen was lot 24311 in Heritage sale 3024 (Chicago, April 2013), where it sold for $3,818.75. The catalog description noted, "Victoria Sixpence 1853, Young Head, MS68 PCGS, just splendid, in fact one of the best English silver coins of any type we have seen, with intense luster, super-bold details, flawless surfaces, a flashy snow-white brilliant reverse with a hint of golden iridescent hues, and an obverse sheathed in an exquisite blend of golden blue iridescence. Pristine! From The Kairos Collection." This type was struck 1838-66 in large quantities with a slightly modified obverse continuing until 1887.
Recorded mintage: 3,838,000 plus proofs.
Specification: 2.82 g, .925 fine silver, .084 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: S-3908, KM 733.1.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3024, featuring the Kairos and Elizabeth McPhall Charters Collections, Dallas: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2013.
- 1851 sixpence
- 1853 half farthing
- 1853 farthing
- 1853 half penny
- 1853 penny
- 1853 Maundy penny
- 1853 Maundy tuppence
- 1853 Maundy threepence
- 1853 groat, Britannia reverse
- 1853 Maundy fourpence
- 1853 shilling
- 1853 florin
- 1853 half crown proof
- 1853 crown proof
- 1853 half sovereign
- 1853 sovereign
- 1854 sovereign
- 1855 sixpence
- Coins and currency dated 1853
- return to coins of Great Britain