Great Britain 1853 4 pence KM-731.1
This specimen was lot 31221 in Heritage sale 3073 (Chicago, April 2019), where it sold for $1,320. The catalog description noted, "Victoria Proof 4 Pence 1853 PR65 NGC, KM731.1 (unlisted in Proof). Reeded edge. An incredibly scarce year in this Proof format, deeply patinated beneath a layer of steel gray color composed largely of russet gold with flints of lapis lazuli. Tied for the finest of the date graded by NGC, with only a single example in the series certified higher. Ex. Eric P. Newman Collection. From the Lake County Collection." This fourpence or groat was struck for circulation in Great Britain and British Guiana 1838-55. Numerous overdates exist. The Maundy fourpence used the same obverse but a different reverse and was struck 1838-87.
Recorded mintage: 12,000 plus proofs, a key date.
Specification: 1.89 g, .925 fine silver, .056 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM 731.1, ESC-1937.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano and Warren Tucker, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3073, featuring the Lake County Collection of British coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2019.
- 1853 half farthing
- 1853 farthing
- 1853 half penny
- 1853 penny
- 1853 Maundy penny
- 1853 Maundy tuppence
- 1853 Maundy threepence
- 1853 Maundy fourpence
- 1853 sixpence
- 1853 shilling
- 1853 florin
- 1853 half crown proof
- 1853 crown proof
- 1853 half sovereign
- 1853 sovereign
- Coins and currency dated 1853
- return to coins of Great Britain