Great Britain 1853 1/2 sovereign
This specimen was lot 31044 in Heritage sale 3064 (Chicago, April 2018), where it sold for $1,020. The catalog description noted, "Victoria gold 1/2 Sovereign 1853 MS63 NGC, Royal mint. A few emerald pinpoints are observed atop the fully lustrous surfaces, while the central designs retain their as-struck crispness and handling marks remain at a minimum." This bust was used on the half sovereign, or ten shilling coin, 1838-85. This is a common date.
Recorded mintage: 2,709,000 plus proofs.
Specification: 3.99 g, .917 fine gold, .117 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 735.1, S-3859.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach and Warren Tucker, Heritage World Coin Auction 3064, featuring the Doug Robins Collection of Canadian Tokens, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2018.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- 1850 half sovereign
- 1853 half farthing
- 1853 farthing
- 1853 half penny
- 1853 penny
- 1853 Maundy penny
- 1853 Maundy tuppence
- 1853 Maundy threepence
- 1853 groat, Britannia reverse
- 1853 Maundy fourpence
- 1853 sixpence
- 1853 shilling
- 1853 florin
- 1853 half crown proof
- 1853 crown proof
- 1853 sovereign
- 1855 half sovereign
- Coins and currency dated 1853
- return to coins of Great Britain