Great Britain 1852 shilling
This specimen was lot 24937 in Heritage sale 3026 (Long Beach, October 2013), where it sold for $940. The catalog description noted, "Victoria Shilling 1852, Young Head, MS66 PCGS, a superb coin possessing immaculate surfaces, a bold strike, and pristine iridescent silvery golden blue toning. This is what a Gem UNC shilling should look like!" This shilling was struck 1838-87 for circulation.
Recorded mintage: 1,307,000.
Specification: 5.65 g, silver, .925 fine.
Catalog reference: S-3904, KM 734.1.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3026, World & Ancient Coins, featuring the RLM Collection, Part Two, the Nogales Collection and the Goetz Medals Die Archive, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2013.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.