Great Britain 1850 farthing
This specimen was lot 2320 in Goldberg sale 110 (Los Angeles, June 2019), where it sold for $96. The catalog description noted, "Great Britain. Farthing, 1850. Victoria. Glossy mint luster. NGC graded MS-64 Brown." This type was struck 1838-60 in substantial numbers altho nice specimens are scarce. This specimen realized less than half the catalog value. A rare 1850/40 overdate exists.
Recorded mintage: 430,000, a better date.
Specification: 4.4 g, copper.
Catalog reference: S.3950; KM-725.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Freeman, Michael J., The Bronze Coinage of Great Britain, Rev. Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2006.
- Peck, C. Wilson, English Copper, Tin and Bronze Coins in the British Museum, 1558-1958, 2nd Ed., London: Oxford University Press, 1970.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, John Lavender, Yifu Che, Jason Villareal and Stephen Harvey, Goldberg Sale 110: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2019.