Great Britain 1849 shilling
This specimen was lot 43139 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2019), where it sold for $720. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Shilling, 1849. PCGS MS-65 Gold Shield. Sharply struck with lovely iridescent tone, soft satin luster and excellent eye appeal." This type was struck 1838-66 in large quantities with a slightly modified obverse continuing until 1887. Altho this is a low mintage date, it obtains little premium.
Recorded mintage: 645,000.
Specification: 5.65 g, .925 fine silver, .168 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: S-3904; KM-734.1.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, Matt Orsini and Cris Chatigny, The January 2019 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.