Great Britain 1847 sovereign
This specimen was lot 24104 in Heritage sale 3020 (Long Beach, September 2012), where it sold for $940. The catalog description noted, "Victoria gold Sovereign 1847, Young Head, MS61 NGC, pleasing color and luster, nicer looking than the numerical grade suggests. Should be worth the high end of our estimate." This bust was used on the sovereign, or one pound coin, 1838-64 with a slightly modified type (KM 736.2) extending until 1874.
Recorded mintage: 4,667,000.
Specification: 7.98 g, .917 fine gold, .235 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: S-3852, KM 736.1.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Tucker, Warren, and Cris Bierrenbach, Heritage Signature Auction 3020: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2012.