Great Britain 1847 penny
This specimen was lot 22921 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2018), where it sold for $132. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Penny, 1847. PCGS AU-58 Secure Holder. Near colon. Nice even brown tone. From the Brighton Collection." This penny was struck 1838-60 and is fairly common in circulated condition. It shares the same design with the farthing and half penny. This date has "near colon" and "far colon" varieties, priced about the same. The colon in question is the one next to the trident on the reverse.
Recorded mintage: 430,000, a better date.
Specification: 18.8 g, copper.
Catalog reference: S-3948; KM-739.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.