Great Britain 1845 crown
The first specimen was lot 24320 in Heritage sale 3030 (New York, January 2014), where it sold for $22,325. The catalog description noted, "Victoria Crown 1845, Young Head, MS65 PCGS; vibrant reddish blue iridescent toning, an excellent sharp strike, and flashy cartwheel luster are the outstanding qualities that make this coin special. Under the color may be seen some ancient marks, even on the portrait, but these must date to the time of minting. Overall, a really choice crown with outstanding eye-appeal. Rare so fine." The second specimen was lot 2314 in Goldberg sale 110 (Los Angeles, June 2019), where it did not sell. The catalog description noted, "Great Britain. Crown, 1845. Victoria. Cinquefoil stops on edge. Obverse: William Wyon's iconic 'Young Head' portrait of Queen VICTORIA DEI GRATIA. Date below. Reverse: Crowned shield of arms within wreath BRITANNIARUM REGINA FID: DEF: Beautiful multi color iridescent tone. NGC graded MS-64." This type was issued 1839 and 1844-47. No further crowns were struck for circulation until 1887.
Recorded mintage: 159,000 plus proofs.
Specification: 28.27 g, .925 fine silver, .840 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: ESC-282; S-3882, KM 741, Dav-105.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3030, featuring the RLM Collection, the Isaac Rudman Collection, the Hans Cook Collection and the Collection of Donald E. Bently, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2013.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, John Lavender, Yifu Che, Jason Villareal and Stephen Harvey, Goldberg Sale 110: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2019.