Great Britain 1844 penny
This specimen was lot 31439 in Heritage sale 3029 (New York, January 2014), where it sold for $188. The catalog description noted, "Victoria Penny 1844, AU55 Brown NGC. Circulation is barely evident with some darkening of the patina noted from 6 o'clock to 9 o'clock on the reverse." This penny was struck 1838-60 and is fairly common. It shares the same design with the farthing and half penny.
Recorded mintage: 215,000.
Specification: 18.8 g, copper.
Catalog reference: KM 739, S-3948.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Stuart Levine and Bruce Lorich, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3029, featuring Selections from the Eric P. Newman Collection, Part III, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2013.