Great Britain 1844 farthing
This specimen was lot 22942 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2018), where it sold for $900. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Farthing, 1844. ANACS MS-63 BRN. A very difficult date to locate in mint state. Sharply struck with nice even brown surfaces. From the Brighton Collection." This farthing was struck 1838-60 and most dates are readily available in circulated condition tho this one is rare. Surprisingly, this specimen only realized a third of the catalog value.
Recorded mintage: 430,000, a rare date.
Specification: 4.4 g, copper.
Catalog reference: S-3950; KM-725.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.