Great Britain 1844 crown
This specimen was lot 1340 in Ponterio sale 173 (New York, January 2013), where it sold for $441. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Crown, 1844. PCGS Genuine--Cleaning, AU Details Secure Holder." This type was issued 1839 and 1844-47. No further crowns were struck for circulation until 1887.
Recorded mintage: 94,000 plus proofs.
Specification: 28.27 g, .925 fine silver, .840 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: Dav-105, KM-741, S-3882.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 42nd ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio Sale 173: The January NYINC 2013 Auction, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2012.