Great Britain 1844 1/3 farthing
This specimen was lot 22945 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2018), where it sold for $216. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. 1/3 Farthing, 1844. ANACS MS-64 RB. 'REG'. Struck for use in Malta. Scarce one year type. A few minor carbon spots, sharply struck with nearly full mint red." This type was succeeded by KM 750, struck sporadically 1866-85, and circulated mostly in the colonies. Its face value, 1/2880 of a pound, was too low to be useful in Britain proper
Recorded mintage: 1,301,000.
Catalog reference: S-3952; KM-743.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.