Great Britain 1843 sovereign
The first specimen was lot 12270 in Ponterio sale 177 (Chicago, August 2013), where it sold for $2,232. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Sovereign, 1843. PCGS MS-63 Secure Holder. Broad shield. Tied with two others for second finest certified." The second specimen was lot 3314 in Goldberg sale 75 (Los Angeles, September 2013), where it did not sell. The catalog description noted, "Great Britain. Sovereign, 1843. Broad Shield. Victoria young head by Wyon. Reverse, crowned shield within wreath. Nearly mint state with great eye appeal. So difficult to find in top grades. In the 2003 Terner collection sale it was noted 'the book price for most of these Victorian sovereigns in 'Unc' is meaningless!'. NGC graded AU-58." This type was struck 1838-72 in large quantities with a slightly modified obverse continuing until 1874. Despite the large mintages, the type is scarce in nice condition. A rare "narrow shield" variety exists for the date.
Recorded mintage: 5,982,000.
Specification: 7.99 g, .917 fine gold, .235 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: S-3852C; Fr-387e; KM-736.1.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio sale 177: The August 2013 Chicago ANA Auction, World Coins, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers, LLC, 2013.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, Jason Villareal and Steven Harvey, Goldberg Sale 75: the pre-Long Beach Sale, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins & Collectibles, 2013.