Great Britain 1842 sovereign
This specimen was lot 33457 in Heritage sale 3042 (Long Beach, September 2015), where it sold for $517. The catalog description noted, "Victoria gold Sovereign 1842 AU55 NGC, Royal mint. A pleasing example with bright luster, devices that exhibit minimal wear, and surfaces that have been lightly handled." This type was struck 1838-72 in large quantities with a slightly modified obverse continuing until 1874. Despite the large mintages, the type is scarce in nice condition.
Recorded mintage: 4,865,000.
Specification: 7.99 g, .917 fine gold, .235 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: S-3852C; Fr-387e; KM-736.1.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World Coin Auction 3042, featuring the Read and Bob Bennett Collections, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2015.